Friday 2 July 2010

Six Students on a Service Bus (Uneven Geographies)



Following three thwarted attempts. I finally made it to the 'Uneven Geographies' exhibition at the Nottingham contemporary. I was accompanied by six A level students (came on the public sevice bus from Ollerton. A whole other story in its own right.) It was a research trip for the students. I have set them the theme 'globalisation' for their unit 3 studies. We have lots and lots of work to do on what globalisation actually means. But this trip was a chance for them to experience actual, challenging, contemporary artworks (hopefully with aim of inspiring them!) AND to do some drawing and photography in Nottingham along the same theme.

Am starting to grow rather fond of this new gallery (it's in Nottingham- the city I belong in, but am sadly not currently in). Have seen every exhibition so far and have always left wanting to talk about what I've seen. Such a good sign... I really enjoyed this one. It challenged me. Am still mulling over what I saw. Really loved the photography by Bruno Serralongue. Anti-journalism. The opposite side of the media. I found that the photos worked so well because of the sheer number of them. Which, to me, represented the vastness of the images we are bombarded with from the media. A gallery assistant approached me whilst I was looking at them and explained how they could be compared with the work by George Osodi, which was more contrived, classical and composed. I wouldn't necessarily have noticed this left to my own devices.
Haunting video installation... The enormous sound of tiny movements will stay with me for a while. I think. Can still hear it now. Some of the works reminded me of my 'Holocaust Project', especially the piece about poverty and the world's three richest men. I can't remember the name or the artist, but essentially the number 3 had been printed onto A1(?) paper 600,000,000 times to represent the number of people living below a certain level of poverty. I had been grappling with ways of showing emormous numbers in relation to the six million Jews killed during the holocaust. This was quite breathtaking... still need to work on this concept... a bit... but was motivating to see it done...

A little bit in love with the Nottingham Contemporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really do read and appreciate each one...

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...