Tuesday 31 May 2011

How exactly am I Supposed to Photograph Glass?


Ever since I started my blog (exactly 100 posts ago, incidently) I've skirted around the issue of producing new work, hinted at something in the pipeline (what a strange, bizarre phrase). And, at last, I've think I 've got somewhere. I don't want to get too happy in case it gets jinxed. But, I tentatively, think I might have finally 'moved on'. It's been a tricky one, because the old work was successful and did sell, but I was losing the will to live just producing the same old pieces to order again and again and again. I really felt I was selling out on my own creativity, a bit. Then, last year, things changed. They kind of had to really. I'd reached a fork in the road, not just creatively, but in life too. At this stage I made a decision that from that point I would only ever do things that felt right, that I truly believed in, everything I did would have integrity. And, do you know what? These days it does. Life is too short to waste on things that don't seem right,  pull you down, or don't actually matter. So behind the scenes I've been fiddling and tweaking and trying and swearing and finally I think I'm getting somewhere. I have a complete, framed piece of work that I'm pleased with (well 8 out of 10 times that I look at it). I've only shown it to two people; my dad and a friend whose opinion I really respect. It's about structure (all the recent ironwork references), but structure has always been an integral part of my glasswork anyway, and layering with other media... here are some quick photo sketches whilst I figure out how on earth I'm actually going to photograph it properly.


The funny thing is that I always anticipated my new work would be big, some sort of grandscale. This actually about 4x6 inches! What an idiot I am... there are big pieces on the way, but I really can't get them to work out yet.

3 comments:

  1. Can't help on the best way to photograph them! but they are looking great!!! well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are pushing through the crossroads. Eric and I have hit them several times with our own art, but we are always happier on the other side.

    Can't wait to see the new work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last photo has come out very well. I can see all the beautiful layers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I really do read and appreciate each one...

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...